RAILWAY STATION 26
Waiting for passengers in 1935 is a fine coach and a horse and Jaunting
Car from Bairds.
In the background you can see two porters either side of a lady with her
The Belfast and Ballymena Railway Company started running trains to Antrim
RAILWAY STATION 651
The year is 1933 and the station has'nt changed much over the years.
The posters on the wall to your right advertising Antrim Technical School
for classes. Also one's about the sale of Small Farms and Farms of Land.
RAILWAY STATION 182
When you look at the Station it really has not changed much from this photograph.
Date is unknown.
RAILWAY STATION 183
This is engine No.14 an NCC Class V 0-6-0 pulling goods Southbound on the
26th June 1937.
RAILWAY STATION 31
The train is called " Dunluce Castle " and was built in 1942 by
the North British Locomotive Company of Glasgow. Seen here at Antrim railway
station in 1958. When it was withdrawn from service in 1963 it had completed
1,135,484 miles. You can still see this train, as it is on permanent display
at The Ulster Folk and Transport Museum at Cultra.
RODGERS WEDDING 2303
It's the 2nd June 1979 and here we are at the old council offices to photograph
It's the wedding of Keith Rodgers to his lovely bride Margeret Rodgers nee
Todd. The best man is Ian Yarwood and the bridesmaid is Sandra Todd.
MUCKAMORE ABBEY 2703
Enjoying a break from her duties at Muckamore Abbey when a colleague snapped
this photograph of Jennifer Rantin.
TOMMY ROBB 2807
Sitting astride his 175cc M.V. Agusta at Lurgan Park in 1956 is Tommy Robb.
TOMMY ROBB 2808
Total concentration as Tommy Robb on his 250cc N.S.U. starts off in the Temple
100 in 1959.
My thanks to Ed Cunningham now
of Ontario, Canada for this photograph.
My thanks to Ed Cunningham now
of Ontario, Canada for this photograph.
REA'S WHITE MILL 2871
Here we are inside Sam Rea's White Mill which back then was situated on the
Station Road, at the moment none of the men are known. In the foreground is
a router machine and another one over to the left. The man standing next to
it I would say is the man in charge for he is wearing a tie. Now the item
they are making was used quite a lot for it is the wooden section of a whitewash
Back then every wall was whitewashed inside and outside the homes so they
were constenly in great demand.
REA'S WHITE MILL 2872
This is inside Sam Rea's White Mill which back then was situated on the Station
Road, at the moment none of the men are known. The machine that the man in
the foreground is working is unknown to me. The reason he is blurred is back
then you had to stay very still for the camera exposure could be a couple
of minutes, even more for an indoor photograph like this one. At the moment
none of the men are known.
Now who is the little girl? Did she get bored and run off or did the camera
catch someone no one else could see?
TOMMY ROBB 2810
Hurtling round the race track at Daytona in England is Tommy Robb on his 750cc
Honda back on the 15th March 1970.
REA'S WHITE MILL 2873
We are just off the Station Road in Rea's White Mill storage yard where this
photograph is being taken.
At the moment only one person is known in the photograph and that is Harry
McCormick 2nd from the right in the front row. I would say that the two men
either side of the work force are the managers.
The men are showing some of the items that they make like small brushes to
yard brushes and also holding some of the tools they use like files and chisels.
In the background on the right is Mill House which was built to Sam Rea's
directions for the family.
SAM REA 2877
This is Sam Rea having his photograph taken by Abernethy the photographer
by Royal Appointment to the late Queen Victoria at 29, High Street Belfast
Sam owned a sawmill business which he first started in Crumlin on Cider court
Road and called it Cider Court Mill.
He then moved to Antrim, built a family home, a row of terraced houses and
his sawmill on the Station Road which he called White Mill.
INGLEREA HOUSE 2874
This is Inglerea house which Sam Rea had built for him and his family on the
Station Road, standing at the doorway are relatives which are all unknown.
The building in the background is Sam's White Mill and around it are tree
trunks waiting to be machined.
Here on the Station Road in Antrim is the Mill House which Sam Rea
first built next to his saw mill.
Standing in the doorway is possibly grandma Rea and is holding a black cat
in her arms.
SAM REA 2875
The reason the picture looks posed is that they had to stay still while the
photograph was being taken but at least they are all smiling. It is a very
relaxed picnic for the staff are sitting with the gentry and being offered
a cake from one of the male gentry.
Seated in the cane chairs is Sam Rea of the White Mill in Station Road with
his wife who is getting milk poured into her cup.
The lady kneeling in the centre facing the camera and getting ready to slice
the loaf of bread must be the housekeeper for she is wearing a nurses watch
and also a pair of sissors in a breast pocket. At the moment the only person
known is Sam Rea.
RIVERSIDE TEXTILES LIMITED 2894
Here we are in Riverside Textiles Ltd down Riverside in the late 60's and
discussing the colour display problems. On the left Mr Norman Perry, Works
Chemist, then Dr.Gisa Gewing, the firm's Chemist colourist from Austria and
finally Mr Ken Collins the Manager.
RIVERSIDE TEXTILES LIMITED 2895
These ladies are working away in the Stitching department of Riverside Textiles
RIVERSIDE TEXTILES LIMITED 2896
When Riverside Textiles Ltd was at its peak they were producing over 50,000
glass cloths a week.
This is Mary Rankin from Muckamore and is one of the girls employed to cut
the continuous stream into individual clothes.
RIVERSIDE TEXTILES LIMITED 2897
All smiles on the left is Mr Collins and beside him is Max Weber the Swiss
engineer who installed this Swiss Buster textile printing machine.
Looking on, on the other side is Matt McCullough, Sean McClaron and Samuel
RIVERSIDE TEXTILES LIMITED 2898
Here in Riverside Textiles Ltd watching the newly printed glass clothes as
they now go into the automatic dryer are James McKelvey, Foreman George McMaster
and Winston Young.
Formerly known as Mill Row, during the 18th and 19th centuries Riverside became
the industrial district of Antrim. The Sixmilewater river provided the power
they needed and a paper mill was here as early as 1776. Later in 1807 a brewery
and then a corn mill in
the 1800's. There used to be here a House of Correction and stocks and this
is where the brewery was built. By 1850 it had become the centre of the linen
industry when Boals of Ballymena built a linen mill on the site of the paper
mill. Taken over by the Lamonts also of Ballymena who operated it into the
late 20th century. Now the mills are no more, but you can see them in this
picture. On the left of the picture is a boy of about 10 years of age with
no shoes. Beside him the man is in a uniform carrying a large bag, could be
a soldier or the local postman. On the right of the picture we have a boy
on a bike and beside him two boys carring a round basket between them. Peeping
from behind the boys are a couple of small children. Date is Unknown.
This was taken down in Riverside, the boy is called Noel Patterson. The lady,
the girl, the year and the house are unknown.
ROSE COTTAGE 435
This is Sarah Beresford standing with the Rev. William Mitchell who was the
minister of High Street Presbyterain, High Street and had conducted the wedding
of her daughter Lily Beresford to Bob Murdock that day.The photograph was
taken in 1941 at Rose Cottage just off the Steeple road.
REA STUDIO PHOTOGRAPH
All smiles in the studio for the photographer, at the back Crawford Rea on
the left and Sam Rea on the right of Rea's sawmill in Castle Street.
Seated are David and Marta Rea and standing in between them is the charming
Wizzing down Riverside on the moterbike in August 1955 we have Charlie Clarke
and his chum Andy Blair. In his dreams they were stationary.
RENTON'S SHOP 879
Standing outside their shop in High Street 1925 we have Belle affectionately
known to locals as 'Bella' with her sister Nan Renton.. The shop was a confectioners,
a cafe they also sold postcards and some were on a stand for sale to their
right. A sign in the window tells us that you could buy a Shilling's worth
of Nippy tobacco also Wills tobacco and cigarettes. For ladies there was Fry's
and Cadbury chocolate on sale inside.
This proud looking man is Robert Renton standing with his charming wife Ella
Renton in the backyard of his shop in High Street. The year is unknown.
ALAN REFORD 2322
This is Alan Reford relaxing in his living room, the house was on the Moylena
Road. Alan was Nellie Reford's Grandfather. Alan went home in 1950.
RANTIN PORTRAIT 2465
This delightful protrait photograph of Angela Rantin with her baby sister
Dawn taken a number of years ago shows the girls have not lost their good
FRANK REFORD 2326
This is Frank Reford who used to attend to the graves in the Quakers graveyard
where this photograph was taken.
By the way you must be a Reford to be buried there.
These smiling boys faces belong to the Antrim Robins which is a section of
the Boys Brigade back in 1971. At the moment the five boys at the back are
all unknown. In the next row from the left Colin McVeigh, Gary Brown, Darrel
Steele, John Grey & Paul Nelson.
Finally the two lads at the front are Trevor Taylor and Master McVeigh. Their
leader is a well known lady around the town called Betty Steele.
Having their photograph taken is the Antrim Robins in 1971.
At the back is their leader Betty Steele and in front of Betty is David Moore,
Paul Peoples, Raymond Elliott, and Adrian Mitchell.
In the front are Master McVeigh, David Steele, Trevor Taylor and John Gray.
RENTON'S SHOP 871
This vintage shot shows you Renton's shop with the window filled with all
types of Ladies and Gents boots in 1912 with Robert Renton the owner in the
shop doorway. In front of him are his two daughters Nan and Belle Renton,
the boy to the right is unknown but how ironic that he is in his bare feet!
The doorway next to him not only led to Renton's back yard and the river but
also a side door into Quinn's pub! On the left with the sign above the doorway
saying 'Upstairs' this was the 'Central Hairdressing Salon' and upstairs there
were Hair cutting rooms and Shaving rooms.The part of a building to the extreme
left is of Orr School - so that lets you know where Renton's shop was in High
RENTON'S SHOP 872
This Renton's shop in 1925 which was in High street with the daughters Nan
and Bell Renton standing outside.
It is now a Confectionary shop and cafe - in the window are lots of different
shaped jars filled sweets
that would make your mouth water, also two signs saying Teas and Minerals.
RENTON'S SHOP 875
Posing outside Renton's shop in 1930 which seemed to sell everything from
McVities biscuits, boxes of cigars to funny postcards that you can see hanging
up - we have from the left Belle and May Renton - Eddie Brown and his wife
Nan and in the shop doorway Grannie Renton.
REA WEDDING 2574
Pictured outside the Crawford house on the farm we have the wedding party,
the year is unknown.
Now they may all look very solemn it is because they had to stand very still
Standing from the left are Sam Rea, John Rea, --?--, --?--, Hannah Crawford
and William Crawford.
Seated are the Groom David Rea and his lovely bride Martha Rea nee Crawford
and flower girl Annie Nelson.